Saturday, March 9, 2013

Performance Evaluation

In our CSS 350 class, we did performance reviews for our teams. We used a scale-based system incorporating a comment system along with it to give feedback in different categories. Then we gave each of our other team members a flat score which was added up and combined to form a total 'grade' for the evaluations. The Tucker book talked about ranking employees within the same position. While we didn't publicly post our scores, anyone in group had access to them and with only having a group of four, it was inevitable that we discovered scores for the teams. This is way different than how it is at work for me. I work at retail, and you can very easily view the detailed breakdowns of how each worker is doing. My supervisor is currently trying post a daily/weekly/monthly report of this breakdown for our whole department to see at anytime. While I enjoy seeing how I am doing, being publicly ranked can be quite demeaning if you have a bad performance and it is highlighted for all your peers. I wouldn't be offended or worried if they were posted, but I know a few of my coworkers that would and it's currently driving one of my coworkers to the point where they are ready to quit. I think public ranking can have its place, but should be done only in the right situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment